Articles on this Page
- 08/04/14--13:00: _Ischnura heterostic...
- 08/05/14--09:58: _Darter dragonfly: Y...
- 08/06/14--11:02: _Warblers - Protonot...
- 08/07/14--08:18: _ Leaf-cutter ant: "...
- 08/08/14--08:26: _oceans: WUaS's list...
- 08/09/14--17:30: _Magnificent Frigate...
- 07/17/14--05:53: _Striped grass mouse...
- 08/10/14--14:20: _Green riverbank but...
- 08/11/14--15:01: _Spelunking / cave e...
- 08/12/14--20:38: _Partridge pea: Just...
- 08/13/14--15:28: _Buff-breasted Sandp...
- 08/14/14--09:20: _Arctic foxes: Harva...
- 08/15/14--08:03: _Bobbit: Volunteer I...
- 08/16/14--09:35: _Flying fishes: Pipi...
- 08/17/14--11:31: _Pygmy Hippo: "Lette...
- 08/18/14--13:23: _Pangolins: Edifying...
- 08/19/14--14:34: _African Harrier Haw...
- 08/20/14--14:28: _Rainbow from a dese...
- 08/21/14--10:39: _California tiger sa...
- 08/22/14--11:15: _Plantago major: Is ...
- 08/04/14--13:00: Ischnura heterosticta dragonfly: News - Guidestar.org listing (affiliated with the IRS) for WUaS is now public, Free and open "Information Technology and the Network Society" course this autumn 2014, WUaS to focus on generating income, Please donate at http://worlduniversityandschool.org, WUaS business school and Harvard's, Admissions, Hindi, Raga, and the WUaS Music School
- 08/05/14--09:58: Darter dragonfly: Your travels sound fun, very enjoyable ... Hmmm .... bliss through connecting with friends appeals in ongoing ways in a whole myriad of ways, quality-wise especially ... hiking with friends, traveling with friends ... making music with friends, Great drawing video: "Betty Edwards - Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain.avi" which I've added to the Drawing wiki subject at WUaS
- 08/06/14--11:02: Warblers - Protonotaria-citrea: FEATURE: "Governments Fulfil their Commitment: Access and Benefit-Sharing Treaty Receives Required Number of Ratifications to Enter into Force," FEATURE: Should international refugee law accommodate climate change?, WUaS, Nation States' page, Law School page, with law schools planned for all countries, Ocean and Climate Change plan page
- 08/07/14--08:18: Leaf-cutter ant: "Institute-wide Task Force on the Future of MIT Education," WUaS differs from edX in that WUaS is Creative Commons licensed and a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit, plans to build in CC MediaWiki/qLabel/Wikidata/Wikibase as a wiki, and plans to be in all 7,106 languages and 242 countries with online accredited MIT OCW-centric degrees in large languages, Good video - ExtensionEngine, LLC - about edX, Admissions at WUaS, WUaS is also planning online law and medical schools potentially in all countries (see Admissions' above).
- 08/08/14--08:26: oceans: WUaS's listing at Creative Commons, Creative Commons' Law wiki subject page at WUaS, WUaS's OPEN monthly business meeting is tomorrow, Although Creative Commons 4 may be better for education in some cases, WUaS is still CC3 and free, as is MIT OCW and Wikipedia and its related projects
- 08/09/14--17:30: Magnificent Frigatebird: Personalized University - The WIKI side of accrediting MIT OCW-centric WUaS facilitates this where YOU can teach about what you want, YOU can learn or YOU can develop expertise as a matriculated student by developing a new wiki subject page when in a degree course, for example, Create your own personalized, MIT OCW-centric World University and School in any language or country
- 08/10/14--14:20: Green riverbank butterflies - Lepidoptera: How to focus my next Harbin book, and building a 3D, interactive, film realistic virtual Harbin as field site?, Helpful NYT's overview of current digital goggles and augmented reality - "Real-Life Illness in a Virtual World,""Virtual Worlds" at WUaS, See, too, "Watsu - water shiatsu" at WUaS
- 08/12/14--20:38: Partridge pea: Just reading ... "Institute-wide Task Force on the Future of MIT Education: Final Report," There's only one reference to MIT OCW and use of it by the 5 schools at MIT, MIT's main schools, WUaS's related wiki subject pages in English so far, As I read through the 16 recommendations, WUaS dovetails with, and can build upon, each and everyone richly, and especially in planning for all languages ...
- 08/13/14--15:28: Buff-breasted Sandpiper: Nice to meet you in Bhodgaya, India, Beginning CC MIT OCW-centric Norway World University and School, and Sweden WUaS, too ... WUaS Fundraising, Association for Ethical Fundraising "Code of Ethical Principles and Standards,""Fundraising" wiki subject page at WUaS
- 08/14/14--09:20: Arctic foxes: Harvard Extension's professional and well done web site, WUaS's developing accreditation plan is here, Opportunities for WUaS collaboration with Harvard Extension or HarvardX, HarvardX to partner more and more with the Harvard Extension school (Division of Continuing Education (DCE)), WUaS seeks to become the MIT / Harvard of the Internet in all 7,106 languages and 242 countries, Just followed Harvard Extension on Twitter, WUaS's Twitter feed
- 08/15/14--08:03: Bobbit: Volunteer Inquiry to WUaS from a Native Speaker of Greek Reed College Student, Email to this Reedie Volunteer, Reed College Switchboard social network site, Bagpiping, Bagpiping with the Scots Guard in the Edinburgh Castle VIRTUALLY?, WUaS's wiki pages are proving (for me) to be a great way to personalize (my own) learning :) Feel wiki-free to engage them for this as well
- 08/16/14--09:35: Flying fishes: Piping Live ... "The Worlds" ... in Glasgow ... "Inveraray and District - MSR" set with PM Stuart Liddell ... sweet ... Field Marshall Montgomery Wins with their, and Inveraray's, winning videos, Plus Grade 1 "March, Strathspey and Reel" videos, WUaS's wiki Great Highland Bagpipe page, How to enhance this for VIRTUAL learning by piping with top bands in "The Worlds?"
- 08/17/14--11:31: Pygmy Hippo: "Letter to RSWR Supporters regarding Ebola Virus in Sierra Leone" with specific health information about the deadly Ebola Virus in Sierra Leone and how the Quaker organization "Right Sharing of Resources" is helping, To the "Sierra Leone" World University and School, the "Quakers" WUaS, as well as the "Hospital" at WUaS (on which we and Sierra Leoneans could wiki-post a video accessible from mobile phones in key Sierra Leone languages about using chlorine and water), I've added the following resources so Ffriends who come to these pages might give financially
- 08/18/14--13:23: Pangolins: Edifying pro-information technological revolution Harvard conversation about a) teaching in virtual worlds, b) wikis and c) Harvard's openness and digital education, and by Harvard Law Professor Charles Nesson and his daughter, Rebecca, both of whom are Harvard trained lawyers, In a recent new Harbin chapter proposal of mine, I further propose to examine ... an "ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy" approach (collaborative building in OpenSim/Second Life, co-writing wikis, and developments from these), as a new methodology
- 08/21/14--10:39: California tiger salamander: WUaS in MediaWiki / qLabel / Wikidata / Wikibase / SemanticWiki accessing Wikicommons in the process ... potentially in 3 or 4 languages to begin, British Friend Programmers, Guidestar Gold level, Erinn Andrews, Former Stanford Admissions Officer who is GuideStar’s "Senior Director of Nonprofit Strategy," Inspiring Stanford University's Guidestar profile
- 08/22/14--11:15: Plantago major: Is there a way with planting trees, broad leaf plants and other flora as well as with cultivating algae in the ocean to reverse global warming ... Plant these at strategic times of the year and in specific places of high CO2 generation to absorb and transform it temporally? What serious academic thought has gone into this? I'll add much of such research to the Ocean and Climate Management Plan at WUaS, Plant broad-leaved high CO2 absorbing living species, especially agriculturally? Soybeans? Related literary literature, Related science articles about this, Added these to the "Forestry" wiki subject page at WUaS
Hi Jayn and Sach,
And here's the beginning "Hindi language" university and school at WUaS plus links - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Hindi_language#World_University_and_School_Links - not yet in Hindi, but check out the 1 MIT OCW course here.
Your travels sound fun, very enjoyable ...
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Great drawing video:
which I've added to
the Drawing wiki subject at WUaS
FEATURE: Governments Fulfil their Commitment: Access and Benefit-Sharing Treaty Receives Required Number of Ratifications to Enter into Force http://htl.li/2Kat0F
Thanks Lance for this. I think all of the World University and School law schools -
planned for all nation states -
under one WUaS umbrella, and their law faculty members, will certainly focus on international treaty questions.
FEATURE: Should international refugee law accommodate climate change? http://ow.ly/2JxjJv
Thanks Lance for this. In terms of climate change/global warming, and planning to reverse it even -
I think all of the World University and School law schools -
planned for all nation states -
under one WUaS umbrella, and their law faculty members, will certainly focus on international refugee law questions.
ExtensionEngine's insight: Report includes 16 specific recommendations
Great, Furqan! ...
To the MIT wiki subject page -
at CC World University and School, which is like Wikipedia with MIT OCW, I just added the related article -
Bradt, Steve. 2014. The future of MIT education looks more global, modular, and flexible: Final report of Institute-wide Task Force offers 16 recommendations to help MIT evolve for a new world. August 4. MIT News Office. Cambridge, MA: newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/future-of-mit-education-0804 -
Check out the MIT OCW courses on this, including the translated MIT OCW courses.
Admissions at WUaS for plans to offer free CC university degrees in large languages -
Let's communicate further about these developments!
Furqan, World University and School differs from edX in that WUaS is CC MIT OCW-centric ...
and WUaS is also planning to be in all
7,106 languages -
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Languages - and
242 countries -
each a CC university or a school, with degrees in larger languages,
and online law and medical schools potentially in all countries (see Admissions' above).
Good video - about edX -
WUaS is Creative Commons licensed and a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit, plans to build in CC MediaWiki/aLabel/Wikidata/Wikibase as a wiki, and plans to be in all 7,106 languages and 242 countries, with online accredited MIT-centric degrees in large languages.
World University and School's listing at Creative Commons -
and the Creative Commons' Law wiki subject page at WUaS -
WUaS's open monthly business meeting is tomorrow -
email WUaS at - firstname.lastname@example.org - if you'd like to participate.
Although Creative Commons 4 may be better for education in some cases -
WUaS is still CC3 and free, as is MIT OCW and Wikipedia and its related projects.
Personalized University ...
The WIKI side of accrediting MIT OCW-centric World University and School planned for all languages and countries facilitates for personalized university - where YOU can teach about what you want, YOU can learn or YOU can develop expertise as a matriculated student by developing a new wiki subject page when in a degree course, for example.
Create your own personalized, MIT OCW-centric World University and School in any language or country ....
Nation States -
... and potentially interactively ...
A Ghanaian friend, who's been living in Boston since about 1993, called two days ago about registering at WUaS:
Stephen also told me he needs a web camera for his computer in order to be able to join a group video Hangout for learning English further.
Since at least 2 films have been shown daily for decades at Harbin, how further to add the an interactive, film realism in the Oculus Rift of both these films – can we enter into them visually, and eventually with a brain wave headset built in even, as well as enter into virtual Harbin from our bathtubs for a warm water relaxation response meditation?
If this interactive, film realistic virtual Harbin were already built and done well, what would be my first foci in fieldwork/pool play?
Pool play that works in the Oculus Rift, and meditation and bliss and hanging out and exploring vis-a-vis talking and language between people and avatars in these devices will be fascinating.
How to make it possible to wiki build virtual Harbin in an ongoing way – so multiple voices and people might shape it …
... for ‘ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy,’ an idea I’ve explored most fully in my blog –
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/search/label/ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy - and how also to make this flourishing?
Helpful overview of current digital goggles and augmented reality:
Markoff, John. 2014. [http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/15/science/taking-real-life-sickness-out-of-virtual-reality.html Real-Life Illness in a Virtual World]. July 14. New York, NY: The New York Times.
... added this article to
Virtual Worlds at WUaS ...
See, too ...
Watsu - water shiatsu -
It was very nice to talk with you today on the phone from the San Francisco Bay Area about World University and School becoming a NACAC - http://www.nacacnet.org/ ... National Association for College Admission Counseling - provisional member in good standing so that WUaS can then, for example, offer the Common Application online to student applicants around the world.
Admissions at WUaS -
I found the membership criteria listing for accrediting institutions here - http://www.nacacnet.org/
for universities annually that WUaS should know about?
From our conversation, I understood that WUaS would need to have begun accrediting with both BPPE (Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education in the state of California) and, for example, WASC senior (Western Association of Schools and Colleges), since WUaS's physical address is in California - and be able to prove both of these, - to become a provisional member of NACAC? I just want to double check and inquire whether WUaS could have just begun the BPPE process and show proof of this, or will we need to have begun both BPPE and for example WASC senior and show proof of both of these?
As I mentioned on the phone, WUaS is a 501 c 3 tax exempt charity - https://www.guidestar.org/
Also, are there any other criteria WUaS should know of, or other information?
Please extend greetings from World University and School to President Katy Murphy if you could.
World University and School is planning to offer free (since Creative Commons' licensed) online MIT OCW-centric university and IB degrees in large languages, and first in English in the U.S.
Here are related WUaS subjects, which may turn into academic departments (and not necessarily schools):
Urban Studies and Planning
As I read through the report's 16 recommendations, WUaS dovetails with, and can build upon, each and everyone richly, and especially in planning for all languages ... (more later about this, but read the report and check out the resources above)
Letter to MIT about this report and WUaS possibly ahead ...
Hello Aa from Norway,
I've unsubscribed you from (free, C.C., online) World University and School's monthly business meeting (conducted in the manner of Ffriends/Quakers) email list.
Very nice to meet you in Bhodgaya, India, this January (in the Thai Temple, if I remember correctly), and it would be great to keep in touch in a variety of ways digitally if at all possible. What social media do you visit a lot and enjoy? Most of my social networking sites are here - http://scottmacleod.com.
Here's the beginning CC MIT OCW-centric Norway World University and School - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Norway#World_University_and_School_Links - and the beginning Sweden World University and School - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Sweden - (accessible from the nation states wiki page at WUaS - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Nation_States) - and eventually planned in all the languages in Norway and Sweden as schools or universities. Please check out the MIT OCW courses at the top with an invitation to add resources.
How are you? Greetings from sunny northern California, and I hope this finds you well.
Thanks for the helpful Association for Ethical Fundraising "Code of Ethical Principles and Standards" guidelines - http://www.afpnet.org/files/ContentDocuments/CodeofEthics.pdf - and the video interview about the far-reaching importance of face-to-face fundraising meetings ...
... in your free occasional fundraising e-newsletter (http://www.jumpstartgrowth.com/), which I'm recommending to my friends.
I've added both of these to the "Fundraising" wiki subject page at World University and School - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Fundraising.
Hope to talk with you in your monthly conference call this Monday, which very first one I found helpful last month.
- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- 415 480 4577
- World University and School - like Wikipedia with MIT OpenCourseWare (not endorsed by MIT OCW) - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization, both effective April 2010.
Just followed Harvard Extension on Twitter -
from - https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch -
and tweeted personally to them through Twitter too -
"Harvard Extension, WUaS's accreditation, HarvardX to partner w Harvard Extension, Web's MIT / Harvard in 7,106 langs http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2014/08/arctic-foxes-harvard-extensions.html" (from this my blog post today),
and perhaps collaboration possibilities will emerge there.
To whom it may concern,
To the Reed College Switchboard social network site:
(Green Hills of Tyrol. 2010. Fanfare & March in - Diamond Jubilee. (at about 1:30 minutes, followed by "After The Battle" / "When the Battle Is Over") Edinburgh, Scotland: Edinburgh Castle Esplanade.
Piping Live ... "The Worlds" ...
in Glasgow ...
"Inveraray and District - MSR" set with PM Stuart Liddell ...
... sweet ... (brought tears to my eyes actually) ...
Here are all of the Grade 1 bans'"March, Strathspey and Reel" videos ...
( Hear "The Worlds" Live today here ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ewjg9r ) ...
And here's Simon Fraser University pipe band from BC Canada, playing first the March "Miss Elspeth Campbell" (which I've been playing a lot these days, and will play with them for learning) of their MSR -
Will add these to World University and School's wiki GHB page ...
It's already so easy to play with these Grade 1 bands on Internet video ...
How to enhance this digitally for learning?
From my blog post yesterday:
(Green Hills of Tyrol. 2010. Fanfare & March in - Diamond Jubilee. (at about 1:30 minutes, followed by "After The Battle" / "When the Battle Is Over") Edinburgh, Scotland: Edinburgh Castle Esplanade.
How to enhance this for learning by piping with top bands in "The Worlds?"
Hi A, Ffriends and SFFM,
Edifying pro-information technological revolution Harvard conversation about a) teaching in virtual worlds, b) wikis and c) Harvard's openness and digital education, and by Harvard Law Professor Charles Nesson and his daughter, Rebecca, both of whom are Harvard trained lawyers ...
I was a student and an At-Large participant in their course (with Gene Koo, as well) in 2006, and have posted previously in this blog about this.
You'll meet Professor Charlie Nesson's avatar Eon, Dean of Cyberspace, in the next 2 videos ...
In a recent new Harbin chapter proposal of mine, I further propose to examine ...
"I'm writing to propose a chapter for your ”Alternate Reality Games and the Cusp of Digital Gameplay” book. I’m currently editing a 400 page draft manuscript of an actual / virtual Harbin Hot Springs ethnographic book tentatively entitled “Naked Harbin: Harbin Hot Springs' Actual/Virtual Ethnography ~ Hippies, Warm Pools, Counterculture & Clothing-Optional, Virtual Harbin." While my actual anthropological field site, Harbin Hot Springs, is in northern California – http://harbin.org - my ethnography examines both “actual” and “virtual” Harbin ethnographically as placeless in a variety of ways, including comparatively, digitally and conceptually.
In this chapter I plan to develop an "ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy" approach (collaborative building in OpenSim/Second Life, co-writing wikis, and developments from these), as a new methodology, in creating a multimedia virtual Harbin to study anthropologically the blurring of the real and the virtual, as well as the blurring articulations between a physical place and a corresponding multimedia game/world. ... "
Glancing, rainbow streamers
Soared air-wise from
Vineyards in full green
Summer leaf in Napa
on the road.
Juan, Sach, other developers among sporadic Universitians,
Great ideas for a course of yours, Juan ...
From across the Atlantic and the USA - from Spain to the SF Bay Area - would you like to co-develop WUaS in MediaWiki / qLabel / Wikidata / Wikibase / SemanticWiki accessing Wikicommons in the process ... potentially in 3 or 4 languages to begin ... possibly En / Es / De (which I speak some) and Hindi together?
The new World University and School website - http://worlduniversityandschool.org/ - has database capabilities.
Have any of you installed MediaWiki before?
Might we get started this week?
... Is there a way with planting trees, broad leaf plants and other flora as well as with cultivating algae in the ocean to reverse global warming ... Plant these at strategic times of the year and in specific places of high CO2 generation to absorb and transform it temporally?
What serious academic thought has gone into this?
I'll add much of such research to the Ocean and Climate Management Plan at WUaS, if it exists ...
Plant broad-leaved high CO2 absorbing living species, especially agriculturally?
Ursula Le Guin's "The Word for World is Forest"
Jean Giono's "The Man Who Planted Trees" as a metaphor for hope ...
To what extent could planting trees help solve climate change?
2012. [http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/29/planting-trees-climate-change To what extent could planting trees help solve climate change? This Q&A is part of the Guardian's Ultimate climate change FAQ]. November 29. London, UK: www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/29/planting-trees-climate-change .
NIEMELÄ, PEKKA, F. STUART CHAPIN, III, KJELL DANELL and JOHN P. BRYANT. 2001. [http://www.lter.uaf.edu/pdf/590_niemela_chapin_2001.pdf HERBIVORY-MEDIATED RESPONSES OF SELECTED BOREAL FORESTS TO CLIMATIC CHANGE]. Finland: www.lter.uaf.edu/pdf/590_niemela_chapin_2001.pdf .
Planting trees may not reverse climate change, but it will help locally. 2013. [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130201090616.htm Planting trees may not reverse climate change, but it will help locally]. February 1. (Afforestation, planting trees in an area where there have previously been no trees, can reduce the effect of climate change by cooling temperate regions, a new study finds). (BioMed Central Limited). Rockville, MD: www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130201090616.htm .
Added these to the "Forestry" wiki subject page at WUaS -