Articles on this Page
- 10/02/14--11:05: _Bottlenose dolphin:...
- 10/03/14--14:20: _Collared anteater: ...
- 10/04/14--11:08: _Shoaling and school...
- 10/05/14--07:20: _Honey bee hives: Wo...
- 10/05/14--08:30: _Brown Pelican: "Nan...
- 10/06/14--08:51: _Sea ice: ''Best pla...
- 10/07/14--08:58: _Native Azeleas and ...
- 10/08/14--09:53: _Native wild composi...
- 10/09/14--13:23: _Helianth: Where are...
- 10/10/14--09:57: _Orchid Lady's Slipp...
- 10/11/14--09:36: _Spring gentian: A S...
- 10/12/14--17:55: _Wildflowers: Virtua...
- 10/13/14--08:52: _Mountain avens: Upd...
- 10/14/14--07:00: _Grass of Parnassus:...
- 10/15/14--09:03: _Pasqueflower: She t...
- 10/16/14--09:04: _Green-winged orchid...
- 10/17/14--12:34: _Stoat: GROCKABLE? E...
- 10/18/14--13:32: _Fritillaria: New "N...
- 10/19/14--09:15: _Lady orchid Orchis ...
- 10/20/14--09:16: _Steppes: Next steps...
- 10/03/14--14:20: Collared anteater: Interesting MIT nanomanufacturing article which touches on ions, Computational linguistics and Indonesian wiki subjects at MIT OCW-centric WUaS, Cool Wearable Electronics, United Nations Library - http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/ - in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish which will also be some of the first WUaS large language universities, institutes for cognitive systems - http://service-science.info/archives/3642 - funding for service systems + cognitive systems, Philosophy of Time? ... MIT Prof Brad Skow, Negroponte: Documentary on OLPC success in Peru
- 10/05/14--08:30: Brown Pelican: "Nancy Kanwisher: A neural portrait of the human mind," Turning such brain imaging into art and music?, Added this video to the "Brain and Cognitive Sciences" wiki subject page at WUaS ... which I hope to eventually engage in brainwave headset studies of people visiting a 3D interactive movie realistic virtual Harbin and a virtual earth as WUaS classroom, And for WUaS language-brain studies inter-lingually in all 7,106 languages, Added Q and A with Nancy Kanwisher by MIT Admissions' Director Matt McGann to Admissions at WUaS, the main Research wiki page, and the Universal Translator at WUaS
- 10/07/14--08:58: Native Azeleas and Rhododendrons: Nontheist F/friends, Friendly-informed MIT OCW-centric wiki World University & School and the FCE/FAHE Joint Conference at Haverford, MIT OCW-centric "Brain and Cognitive Sciences," Quaker young people to apply to (autumn 2015) and matriculate at (in autumn 2016) WUaS online for free MIT OCW-centric degrees - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Admissions_at_World_University_and_School
- 10/09/14--13:23: Helianth: Where are you friendly bliss-generation-wise?, Just heard Glenn Gould's "A State of Wonder: The Complete Goldberg Variations 1955 & 1981," Sony 2002 library CD, What an inspiring and alive conversation ... offering approaches from a virtuoso to think about practicing as well as apply them to bliss generation through music ... :), Added to "Practicing - Playing a Musical Instrument," How to make practicing joyous lifelong?
- 10/10/14--09:57: Orchid Lady's Slipper: Come participate in World University and School's hour-long ANNUAL business meeting (the 4th) this Saturday, October 11, 2014, at 9am (Pacific Time), - Next up for WUaS accreditation-wise: BPPE, WASC senior, NACAC for the Common App., Next up information technologically: WordPress for subscribing and newsletter, and moving from Wikia to MediaWiki
- 10/11/14--09:36: Spring gentian: A SQL university and school in all 7,106 + languages and 242 + countries a wiki, with face-to-face interactions and learning in group video is indeed a new way of conceiving of the University, Glad to have facilitated/clerked the 4th open WUaS Annual Business Meeting today (in the manner of F/friends)
- 10/12/14--17:55: Wildflowers: Virtual reality -- how the metaverse will change filmmaking, What is IBM developing in terms of digital goggles and AI especially vis-a-vis a virtual earth (and as classroom and field site and eventually for brain science research), "How might one ENTER INTO ANY FILM in a 3D interactive movie realistic VIRTUAL WORLD?,""Web: Avatar Agency, A Talking Richard Rorty Bot?"
- 10/17/14--12:34: Stoat: GROCKABLE? Engaging Watson and Cognitive Computing, accrediting MIT OCW-centric wiki World University and School would like to become the Harvard / MIT of the internet and in all 7,106+ languages and 242+ countries, offering CC online university (bachelor, Ph.D., law and M.D.) and high school (I.B.) degrees in large languages and most countries, MIT TechConnection: edX in Translation in nearly 80 Languages on this platform
- 10/18/14--13:32: Fritillaria: New "Natural Language Processing" wiki subject page/school with main links in addition to "Voice & Computing" wiki subject page/school at MIT OCW-centric wiki World University and School, "Natural Language Processing" wiki subject main links at WUaS include - Artificial Intelligence, Brain and Cognitive Sciences ...
- 10/20/14--09:16: Steppes: Next steps for World University and School accreditation, WUaS looking for likely funding sources and fundraising possibilities, and welcome your thoughts and suggestions, Accreditation for CC MIT OCW-centric World University and School, and eventually in many of 242 countries and in large languages is what will distinguish WUaS from other good online projects such as edX, for example
Glad wiki World University and School's MIT OCW-centric "Artificial Intelligence" subject - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Artificial_Intelligence - got mentioned in this blog:
Artificial Intelligence in the World University
WUaS was mentioned due to adding this page and conversation -
Interesting MIT nanomanufacturing article which touches on ions - http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/manufacture-nanoscale-devices-cheaply-1003 - and which I've added to http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Electrical_Engineering and http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Nanotechnology.
Computational linguistics at MIT OCW-centric WUaS http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Computational_Linguistics… and ...
adding "Computational implementation of crossed control structures in Indonesian In Cahaya Bahasa"
Curious how just MIT OCW - http://ocw.mit.edu - would rank in these "Times Higher Education's World University Rankings" - http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/world-ranking. What could all 7,106+ languages' World University and School add via the Internet and Information Technologies, and wiki, to MIT OCW vis-a-vis these rankings?
All the results and the best analysis of the 2014-15 "Times Higher Education" World University Rankings, published this week, available here: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/world-ranking.
For WUaS accreditation planning purposes in California, in English, and in other languages, here are MIT OCW's Audio/Video courses - http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/audio-video-courses - and - MIT OCW's Translated courses - http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/translated-courses/.
World University and School -
The open Friendly World University and School HIVE meets at AFSC offices/San Francisco Friends Meeting this week on Monday, 10/6, and Wednesday, 10/8, from about 8:45 to 11:15 am. I'm so glad this way continues to be opening.
Come help create in person at this HIVE people-to-people Ffriendly-informed online learning - and planned for all 7,106 languages and 242 countries at MIT OCW-centric World University and School - http://
World University and School's open electronically-mediated ANNUAL Meeting - http://worlduniversityandschool.blogspot.com/2014/10/october-11-2014-annual-business-meeting.html - meets this Saturday, October 11th at 9am Pacific Time. WUaS engages Friendly-informed business meeting process. I'm attaching Berkeley Friends' Meeting monthly newsletter in this email with its helpful queries concerning business meeting. (While WUaS is secular and STEM-centric, Friendly-informed WUaS engages a kind of NtFriendly-informed monthly business meeting practice in the manner of Quakers).
Looking forward to meeting with you.
Kanwisher, Nancy. 2014. [http://www.ted.com/talks/nancy_kanwisher_the_brain_is_a_swiss_army_knife Nancy Kanwisher: A neural portrait of the human mind]. ted.com/talks/nancy_kanwisher_the_brain_is_a_swiss_army_knife.
I'd like to potentially turn such brain imaging into art and music ...
I added this video to the "Brain and Cognitive Sciences" wiki subject page at WUaS - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Brain_and_Cognitive_Sciences - along with a fascinating video talk by MIT Professor Nancy Kanwisher "Nancy Kanwisher: A neural portrait of the human mind" ...
... which I hope to eventually engage in brainwave headset studies of people visiting a 3D interactive movie realistic virtual Harbin and a virtual earth as WUaS classroom.
... and for WUaS language-brain studies inter-lingually in all 7,106 languages.
I also added this Q and A with Nancy Kanwisher by MIT Admissions' Director Matt McGann ...
McGann, Matt. 2010. [http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/qa_with_prof_nancy_kanwisher_8 Q&A with Prof. Nancy Kanwisher ‘80 (CPW Preview!)]. Cambridge, MA: mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/qa_with_prof_nancy_kanwisher_8 .
... to Admissions at WUaS ...
the main Research wiki page at WUaS ...
and the Universal Translator at WUaS ...
'''Best plans to solve global warming and climate change'''
Biello, David. 2007 [http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/10-solutions-for-climate-change/ 10 possibilities for staving off catastrophic climate change]. Nov 26. scientificamerican.com/article/10-solutions-for-climate-change/.
Can we fix global warming? 2014. [http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-too-hard.htm Can we fix global warming? What the science says...]. skepticalscience.com/global-warming-too-hard.htm.
Climate Change. 2014. [https://www.globalpolicy.org/social-and-economic-policy/the-environment/climate-change.html Climate Change]. globalpolicy.org/social-and-economic-policy/the-environment/climate-change.html.
Climate change mitigation. 2014. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_mitigation Climate change mitigation]. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_mitigation.
Germany in Top Five Countries Fighting Climate Change. 2014. [http://www.dw.de/germany-in-top-five-countries-fighting-climate-change/a-2239196 Germany in Top Five Countries Fighting Climate Change]. dw.de/germany-in-top-five-countries-fighting-climate-change/a-2239196.
Harball, Elizabeth and ClimateWire. 2013. [http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-carbon-farms-reverse-global-warming/ Could Carbon Farms Reverse Global Warming? Large plantations might pull CO2 out of the air]. Aug 23. scientificamerican.com/article/could-carbon-farms-reverse-global-warming/.
MANAGING THE RISKS OF EXTREME EVENTS AND DISASTERS TO ADVANCE CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION. 2014. [http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/special-reports/srex/SREX_Full_Report.pdf MANAGING THE RISKS OF EXTREME EVENTS AND DISASTERS TO ADVANCE CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION]. Geneva, Switzerland: ipcc.ch/pdf/special-reports/srex/SREX_Full_Report.pdf.
McKibben, Bill. 2014. [http://www.billmckibben.com/fightglobalwarmingnow/global-warming-resources.html GLOBAL WARMING RESOURCES]. billmckibben.com/fightglobalwarmingnow/global-warming-resources.html.
Moseman, Andrew. 2014. [http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/4290084 How Geoengineering Works: 5 Big Plans to Stop Global Warming]. popularmechanics.com/science/environment/4290084.
NPR NEWS STAFF. 2011. [http://www.npr.org/2011/12/07/143302823/what-countries-are-doing-to-tackle-climate-change What Countries Are Doing To Tackle Climate Change]. December 09. npr.org/2011/12/07/143302823/what-countries-are-doing-to-tackle-climate-change.
National Geographic. [http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/gw-solutions/ Global Warming Solutions: What Can We Do?]. environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/gw-solutions/
Rotman, David. 2013. [http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511016/a-cheap-and-easy-plan-to-stop-global-warming/ A Cheap and Easy Plan to Stop Global Warming: Intentionally engineering Earth’s atmosphere to offset rising temperatures could be far more doable than you imagine, says David Keith. But is it a good idea?]. February 8. Cambridge, MA: technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511016/a-cheap-and-easy-plan-to-stop-global-warming/.
SEAMAN, GREG. 2009. [http://eartheasy.com/blog/2009/03/global-warming-climate-change-what-we-can-do-about-it/ Global Warming / Climate Change: What we can do about it]. MAR 3. eartheasy.com/blog/2009/03/global-warming-climate-change-what-we-can-do-about-it/
Union of Concerned Scientists. 2014. [http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming#.VDC2jCldVKo Union of Concerned Scientists Solutions]. Cambridge, MA: ucsusa.org/global_warming.
"Ocean and Climate Management Plan" at wiki WUaS -
Couldn't find any specific intergovernmental plans when I google searched ...
Oz, and Nontheist F/friends,
Sojourning at Pendle Hill after attending Quaker Earthcare Witness gathering sounds wonderful, Oz!
It was great to meet Jeff Dudak at the FCE/FAHE Joint Conference at Haverford, June 12-15, on "Exploring Right Relationships" - http://www.haverford.edu/news/stories/78489/311 - and it was also really great to visit again during this conference with both Doug Gwyn and Rebecca Kratz Mays (whom I know from Pendle Hill from different times from around 1987-1991, during which Doug was a Friend-in-Residence, and Rebecca was editor of Pendle Hill Pamphlets :). Please give my warm greetings to Jeff (and Doug and Rebecca)!
(Although Friendly-informed MIT OCW-centric wiki World University & School became a member of FAHE by paying the membership dues as requested by FAHE to attend this conference, WUaS has yet to hear back about the status of this WUaS membership after a number of inquiries, or about becoming a Quaker College / University on this list - http://quakerfahe.com/quaker-colleges-universities-and-study-centers/. All of my emails from different email accounts to Kimberly curiously bounced back and after communicating about this with Walter Sullivan, as well).
David and Jeff, here is the MIT OCW-centric "Brain and Cognitive Sciences" wiki subject page at WUaS with its main links:
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Brain_and_Cognitive_Sciences#World_University_and_School_Links - which might be of aid to you in your planning for this 2015 workshop on "Neuroscience and Spiritual Experience"; check out all the MIT OCW brain courses. Please add papers, or teach/invite friends to your web camera, or record the conversation in the workshop and add it here, or to the NtF wiki school at WUaS - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Nontheist_Friends_(atheist_Quakers%3F)#World_University_and_School_Links, if lead. On the brain science side of this workshop, here's a fascinating TED Talk by MIT Professor and brain scientist Nancy Kanwisher (who also went to MIT for her B.S. and Ph.D.) -
"Nancy Kanwisher: A neural portrait of the human mind"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yj3nGv0kn8 - (and which I also posted to my blog recently - http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2014/10/brown-pelican-nancy-kanwisher-neural.html - with many other related creative ideas, and which might be relevant eventually for studying, brain-science-wise, what might be called "spiritual" experiences).
Os, I would be interested in exploring becoming a Cadbury Scholar F/friend in Residence at Pendle Hill if at all possible, both as a NtF as well as as the Head Clerk (and Founder and President) of Friendly-informed World University and School, which is like Wikipedia with MIT OCW (and where Wikipedia is in 287 languages and MIT OCW is in at least 8 non-English languages), and for which WUaS is planning to reach out to and heartily invite Quaker young people to apply to (autumn 2015) and matriculate at (in autumn 2016) WUaS online for free MIT OCW-centric degrees - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Admissions_at_World_University_and_School. WUaS may well bring so so many people into the Society of Friends as well as NtFs - with the possibility of free and C.C. MIT degrees
Os, how would you suggest exploring becoming a Cadbury Scholar at Pendle Hill?
Happy sojourning! :)
With NtF/friendly greetings,
"This Country Just Abolished College Tuition Fees" http://thinkprogress.org/education/2014/10/01/3574551/germany-free-college-tuition/ ... added to "Admissions" at CC free MIT OCW-centric WUaS - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Admissions_at_World_University_and_School and the "Education" wiki subjects at CC free MIT OCW-centric WUaS - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Education.
Where are you friendly bliss-generation-wise?
Just heard Glenn Gould's "A State of Wonder: The Complete Goldberg Variations 1955 & 1981," Sony 2002 library CD ...
a great conversation between Gould (1932-1982) with music critic Tim Page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Page_(music_critic)), and with Gould playing Bach counterpoint as well as simply practicing on the CD ...
and will add to "Practicing - Playing a Musical Instrument" - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Practicing_-_Playing_a_Musical_Instrument… and J.S. Bach and may "Dialogue" and others ...).
How to make practicing joyous lifelong?
Three women from India are walking one level down in the Stanford Bookstore 2 with beautiful shimmery saris and another with a beautiful top ... when are we going to start wearing beautiful colorful clothes?
Hope to see you soon,
Dear Universitians and friends,
Come participate in World University and School's hour-long ANNUAL business meeting (the 4th) this Saturday, October 11, 2014, at 9am (Pacific Time).
- Next up for WUaS accreditation-wise: BPPE, WASC senior, NACAC for the Common App.
- Next up information technologically: WordPress for subscribing and newsletter, and moving from Wikia to MediaWiki.
- WUaS has pushed backed the planned high school student application period to autumn 2015, with first students matriculating in autumn 2016 online - which will be the first World University and School class - the class of 2020 in all likelihood.
- As the founder and president of MIT OCW-centric WUaS, I'd also like to ask if you could please ask two friends to donate $10 to World University and School, explaining World University and School a little to your friends first, and then also ask if you could please donate at least $10/month yourself, as a model for them, by clicking on the PayPal button, for example, here -
http://worlduniversityandschool.org. Thank you!
- Here's WUaS's developing Guidestar listing -
Thank you for joining the World University and School team. WUaS would like to invite you to participate in our hour-long, annual, business meeting this Saturday, October 11th, beginning at 9 a.m., PDT / 12 noon EDT.
This month we'll meet in Free Conference Call. And this month, I'll continue to send out a second email a few minutes prior to 9am PT with the phone number and access code, to our entire WUaS email list with the actual web address / URL of the Google + group video Hangout, as well as send a third email after business meeting with WUaS Minutes.
You'll also find some previous monthly business meetings (conducted electronically in the manner of F/friends) as examples in Google Hangouts here - http://scottmacleod.com/papers.htm. WUaS's active blog with past monthly business information is here - http://worlduniversityandschool.blogspot.com.
The agenda for the upcoming October 11th, 2014 WUaS, monthly, business meeting is here - http://worlduniversityandschool.blogspot.com/2014/10/october-11-2014-annual-business-meeting.html.
WUaS's September 2014 financial report is attached.
The next, open, hour-long, WUaS, monthly business meeting is on Saturday, November 8th, 2014, and will meet in Free Conference Call.
For people on the sporadic, somewhat frequent, WUaS, email list, or who wish to be, WUaS is posting actively to both the WUaS Google Group (firstname.lastname@example.org), and the WUaS Yahoo Group (email@example.com), both of which allow for daily and weekly digests. Please join these groups for daily and weekly digests.
Concerning this WUaS team email list, we'll generally send out business meeting emails once a month. If you'd like to receive more frequent, sporadic, WUaS emails, please reply to this email telling me so. If you could, please REPLY with UNSUBSCRIBE, or an alternative email address, if you wish NOT to receive WUaS's emails, or receive them in a different email account, - and WUaS would be very grateful.
World University and School is planning to become the MIT / Harvard / Yale / Stanford / Oxbridge of the Internet, and in all 7,106+ languages and 242+ countries, with online, Creative Commons' licensed MIT OCW-centric, university degrees in large languages.
Free, Creative Commons' licensed, online, wiki WUaS, like Wikipedia with MIT OCW, is planned for all 3,000-8,000 languages and for around 240 countries, with free degrees accrediting on C.C. MIT OpenCourseWare+, - and will help many, many people.
Thank you again for your generous contributions interest in helping grow World University and School.
A SQL university and school in all 7,106 + languages and 242 + countries a wiki, with face-to-face interactions and learning in group video is indeed a new way of conceiving of the University.
A structured query language online university is something that not even MIT OCW is building or developing that I can see, and as semantic structured querying language will develop remarkably in the years ahead, the inter-lingual research potential of this is wondrous.
Glad to have facilitated/clerked the 4th open WUaS Annual Business Meeting today (in the manner of F/friends) ...
Here's a great glimpse into the visualization metaverse to come from a Hollywood Director - "Virtual reality -- how the metaverse will change filmmaking | George Bloom | TEDxHollywood" ...
What is IBM developing in terms of digital goggles and AI especially vis-a-vis a virtual earth (and as classroom and field site and eventually for brain science research)?
Here's a recent blog post of mine that relates to this TEDTalk, but in a quite different way conceptually.
"How might one ENTER INTO ANY FILM in a 3D interactive movie realistic VIRTUAL WORLD?, MATLAB, a) first MAP any film into an avatar script in a 3D virtual world, b) then add one’s own avatar into the mapped 3D virtual world film, c) then develop avatar agency for avatars from film … so like historical re-enactors, at Plimoth Plantation, MA, d) much like Second Life avatars can be scripted to dance, e) See related Richard Rorty and avatar agency in virtual worlds' blog posts"
And here's an earlier blog post of mine that suggests an approach to agency, avatar agency and Artificial Intelligence vis-a-vis language within 3D virtual worlds.
"Web: Avatar Agency, A Talking Richard Rorty Bot?"
Updated CV with MIT OCW-centric Global University and Artificial Intelligence focus:
Scott Gordon Kenneth MacLeod, III, M.A., D.R.
Melting in warm
releasing oneness ~ Yes.
Is this field work pool play
Can we do this
at home virtually
in our bath tubs, but
without the same
Watsu friendship dancings
as at Harbin?
Engaging Watson and Cognitive Computing, accrediting MIT OCW-centric wiki World University and School would like to become the Harvard / MIT of the internet and in all 7,106+ languages and 242+ countries, offering CC online university (bachelor, Ph.D., law and M.D.) and high school (I.B.) degrees in large languages and most countries.
edX in Translation in nearly 80 Languages
"Coding Towards Vietnam: edX in Translation"
on this platform -
WUaS planning for all 7,106+ languages -
with accredited MIT OCW-centric degrees in large languages and most countries.
New "Natural Language Processing" wiki subject page/school with main links -
in addition to "Voice & Computing" wiki subject page/school -
at MIT OCW-centric wiki World University and School.
"Natural Language Processing" wiki subject main links at WUaS include -
Two friends of mine have passed away recently, I'm sad to say, - both in their 80s.
To honor G.L.A., one of the smartest people I've known, I'm posting this poem by Max Ehrmann, by which G.L.A. stood:
And to remember B.R.M. who was very loving, and focused on caring for the poor throughout her life by writing copiously and advocating for the poor throughout her career, I'm posting her obituary from the Boston Globe; Betty was wonderful:
Next steps for World University and School and accreditation:
$5000 for BPPE
writing the documentation
Receive the letter of accreditation approval back from BPPE then
$10,000 initially for WASC senior
Receive the letter of accreditation approval back from BPPE then
which should allow WUaS to then become part of the Common App
... and thereby get in high school college counselor's offices in Friends' schools, in most high schools in the U.S., and around the world.
WUaS looking for likely funding sources and fundraising possibilities, and welcome your thoughts and suggestions.
Accreditation for CC MIT OCW-centric World University and School, and eventually in many of 242 countries and in large languages is what will distinguish WUaS from other good online projects such as edX, for example.